Suicide is a significant public health problem that leaves a lasting effect on your loved ones. In fact, it is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States generally and the 2nd leading cause of death in people aged 10 to 34. Here’s where the importance of suicide risk screening comes in.
Suicide Risk Screening
Suicide risk screening is a process that estimates the probability of someone attempting suicide or dying by committing suicide. It is also one of the most effective ways to prevent suicide, especially in children and adolescents.
How to Determine if You Need Suicide Risk Screening
You need a suicide risk assessment if you have the following:
- A history of attempted suicide.
- Family history of suicide attempts.
- You suffer from depression.
- You have been through family violence.
- You have been in prison recently.
- You experience chronic pain.
- Your family has a history of depression as well as other mental illnesses.
How to Determine if You or Someone in Your Family is at Risk of Committing Suicide
When someone intends to commit suicide, you may notice a behavior change. Additionally, some of the red flags to watch out for are:
- They keep talking about wanting to die.
- They are anxious, agitated, and feel useless.
- They become socially withdrawn and showing mood swings.
- Their behavior suddenly becomes recklessness and impulsive behavior.
- They abuse alcohol or drugs.
- They give away their prized possessions.
When to Seek the Advice of a Medical Professional or Trained Counselor
Every now and then, you may have depression. It’s vital to seek the help of a medical professional or a trained counselor if;
- You have had symptoms for over two weeks.
- Your symptoms are interfering with your ability to function at work and your social life.
- You are contemplating suicide.
Follow our blog for more informative articles on healthcare and healthcare-related topics. Visit Avidity Medical Design Academy to enroll in one or more healthcare courses on a variety of topics. Visit Avidity Medical Scentations to purchase scented candles and soaps with a healthcare theme.